Saturday, June 25, 2005

Lush so far...

My big idea is to knit this (flat) pattern in the round. I dread seaming, and with this specialized yarn that shrinks by 20% after you've knit it up, I thought it might look more even if I was able to put it all together before washing it. You can't sew together a Rowan Denim item before washing it because the seaming yarn will shrink and it will get all bent out of shape. Anyway, I wanted to try converting patterns to knitting in the round, so here goes...
First I knit the bottoms of both the front and back separately for the first 4 inches or so, and then joined them where the side splits end on the pattern. I actually shortened it by an inch or so by leaving out one of the vertical diamond shapings on the lower edge. I am short and don't want it to be too long.

I marked the side "seam" stitches, and then decided to just purl each one to create a fake seam.

I have opted to purl where the pattern calls for beads this time. I want to be able to concentrate on the changes I'm making in the pattern and the purled stitches still make for a nice design.

Here it is so far. I have gotten to the armhole shaping, where you actually do have to divide it and knit the front and the back separately from here to the shoulders. I found that my guage changed when I switched from knitting every round to stockinette (because I'm now going back and forth). I had to unravel a bunch and switch to a smaller needle, hope it works well and doesn't show...

No comments: