Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Eyes of Tammy Faye

I happened upon this bizarre documentary the other day and could not pull myself away from the TV. I would have to say I was positively riveted by it! I also have to confess that after watching it I felt a new found sympathy for Tammy Faye and even her ex, Jim Bakker. They were pioneers and of course wheelers and dealers in the Christian Broadcasting world, but they got chewed up and spat out by the truly Satanic dark forces of Christian Broadcasting: Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. It's a cooky little documentary with lots of fun gay overtones (Tammy is, after all, the first and probably the only Televangelist to openly embrace AIDS victims in the mid-eighties, and her mascara ran from real tears!) and it's just a damn good story! It might even make you feel a little better about those over-the-top Christian Right wingnuts who've been trying to take over our country lately. At least it'll lighten you up for a minute. Rent it!


Link to film website: The Eyes of Tammy Faye

2 comments:

sari gordon said...

The first time I saw Jim and Tammy Fae was in like 1981 or 82 and they were on so early in the morning that you'd have to be up all night to catch them. It seemed like every single time they were on, I was tripping. I felt extremely, personally touched by them. I believed they were trying very hard to tell me something. She was so cute in a red/white gingham checked dress swinging back and forth next to some hay bales. My friends and I decided that he was the future-human: he had no gender, no ethnic identity, no real specific features. It was very important to pay attention to him. Thanks for the tip, I love Tammy Fae on The Surreal Life!

Anonymous said...

the bakers. the forgotten whackos of the 80s. if only robertson and his club could had such a magnanimous ending.

her tears may be real, but that make-up job still scares the crap out of me!